Welcome to Delaware GLU

Delaware Gays and Lesbians United
Because we must stick together!


Thursday, October 28, 2010

Here is, quite possibly, the ultimate lesson of life

Here is, quite possibly, the ultimate lesson of life... brought to you in a simple conversation. I wonder how many people might recognize/remember the speech. This is the transcript.

2 people, R and T are talking:


R: Don't take it personally, its just his opinion. I've learned this long ago: what other people think of me is none of my business. But I want to say you're beautiful. That's the reason you're here. Can I hug you right now? You're here because you're so fabulous, please don't forget that. It's about creative people, who are saying “I'm gonna do my own thing.' and inspire other people to do that, and I think you're doing that. Its not easy, its not easy. It's almost an act of treason in a male dominated society. So we're gonna be up against a lot of criticism.

T: So why feed into that negativity, though?

R: Its there. It's just part of the experience.

T: Why do we have to be the negative asshole? Why can't we be the Pollyannas?

R: This is a competition, there are polar opposites. If we all just said you're fabulous, you're fabulous, you're amazing, you're amazing... there's nothing to it.

T: Because I am amazing!

R: You are!

T: But why are you giving me so much negativity?

R: Because you forgot it, you forgot you are amazing. If you take on someone else's negativity, its because, goddamnit, you forgot it! Its not my responsibility to make you feel good all the time. You're not a loser, that's why you're here today! You forgot who you were... we didn't forget, you forgot! You forgot, Tammy, you forgot that you're fabulous. Don't blame me for that! That's your fucking responsibility. And that's the same for all of you, the reason you're here is because you're all goddamn stars! How many times do we have to put that in your head? You're a fucking star! Don't let anybody tell you that you're not! If I had a nickel for every time somebody said to me 'you can't become a star' I'd have a million billion dollars! I know what I am, I don't forget who I am, and that's true for all of you. Never forget! Everyone's gonna tell you “no, you can't do it, you can't do it, you can't do it” but that's because they're projecting their negativity onto you! Now, we can't tell you that, because you won't believe it. You have to earn it. You have to own it yourself. I'm telling you now so we can end this conversation. You have to own it yourself, Dorothy. “Why did you tell me all we had to do was click our heels three times?” Because goddamnit, you wouldn't believe me! And that's why you're here. You're in this competition so that you own it, you own it. So that you process it, you process it. “Oh, they're saying bad things about me.” Own it, own it, and then you get to the understanding that “Oh, that wasn't me, that was their shit. That had nothing to do with me. That was them!” And then you own it. You know what... every time that happens to you in life, the time it takes for you to catch yourself gets shorter and shorter. Does that negativity ever go away, that self-doubt, does it go away? No, it doesn't go away. We can't tell you this, you have to walk through the fire. You walk through the fire, then you own it, and you can go” “Come for me, bitches! Come for me. You can say whatever you want, because you know why? I'm motherfucking fierce!”.

No comments:

Post a Comment