Welcome to Delaware GLU

Delaware Gays and Lesbians United
Because we must stick together!


Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Happy Birthday, Delaware GLU!

Wow, I can't believe it's been a year already!

So much has happened amidst Delaware's LGBT community in the past year,
where do I begin!!

* Ladies of the 80's
* The Pride Festival
* Crimson Idol
* Fierce Wednesdays
* A Candlelight Vigil
* Our Night Out
* a new PFLAG chapter in Rehoboth
* the Rainbow Chorale performing at Art Loops
(forgive me if I neglected something)
... and oh yeah... CIVIL UNIONS!

Go Delaware!!!

If you haven't already heard the story of GLU (Gays and Lesbians United), I have the video below. But all I want to say is thanks for the support, things appear more difficult if you convince yourself you're doing it alone. Fortunately, Delaware is small; everyone knows everyone.

In October, when I was asked to speak at the 4th Wilmington Ignite Conference, I figured no one was paying attention to what was happening online. That invitation came both as a surprise and as an honor. It was more of an honor to have been granted the opportunity to share my little baby blog with influential citizens of Delaware. Shortly after, GLU began amassing Facebook fans and therefore this little corner of the internet was generating its own heightened awareness of Delaware's lgbt community.

In December, I received another tremendous email, with the opportunity to be interviewed with Spark magazine. Once again, GLU was reaching new audiences. For this opportunity, I will be abundantly grateful. I don't know where or how far my influence lies, but I will continue maintaining this blog for as long as I am able. Yes, at times it's a lot, but I truly am grateful for all the amazing people I have met along the way. This ever-growing sense of family is so endearing and more motivating than anything else.


Hopefully it isn't much of a surprise that I hold a master calendar of everything happening in Delaware relevant to the lgbt community for the remainder of the year. I attend whichever meetings I am able and take vigorous notes! I want this community to thrive, but simply announcing things isn't enough. We all must make an effort to attend events and meetings as well.

If ever you have an event you would like for me to promote, email:
delawareglu@gmail.com

If you use Facebook, please find and "LIKE" Delaware GLU: [Facebook page]

Special thanks to Michelle Fitzgerald for helping me set up this blog itself; inspiration is cross-pollination!


Thanks again Delaware, the future is looking very bright for us!

Joe Sielski


And now the video:

No comments:

Post a Comment